Pages

Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Tempeh Meatloaf


So I have been saying that I wanted to try out a tempeh meatloaf for a few weeks now. I finally got around to it last night. I am usually more of a one-pot meal kinda of girl.....which I think is pretty typical for someone living alone. Last night however I pulled out all the stops and actually served up a fully balanced meal with my tempeh meatloaf, peas, and a sweet potato. I made a few changes but this recipe is based on one found in Lindsay Nixon's book, Everyday Happy Herbivore.  

Ingredients:
1 onion, chopped
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 cup of instant oats
1 8 oz package of tempeh (I used vegetable flavored tempeh) shredded with a cheese grater
2 tablespoon + 1/4 cup of ketchup
2 tbsp whole grain mustard
2 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
1 tbsp (vegan) worcestershire sauce
1 tsp sriracha
2 tbsp nutritional yeast
1 tsp Italian seasoning


Directions:
Preheat oven to 350.

Fry chopped onion in olive oil over medium heat for about 5 minutes, until soft and clear. Let cool in a medium sized mixing bowl.

Add remaining ingredients to a bowl except the 1/4 cup of ketchup and let the mixture rest for five minutes.

Shape into a log on a greased pan (or a bread pan). Coat the top and sides of the log with the reserved 1/4 cup of ketchup.

Cook for 30-35 minutes, until firm and golden. Let cool for at least 10 minutes before cutting. 




No comments:

Post a Comment