Pages

Thursday, March 8, 2012

Mixed Lentil and Coconut Stew


This week we had our first taste of spring here in Boston…it has been in the sunny 60s the past two days and the change in morale around the city is noticeable. As excited as I am to see Spring arrive, the departure of winter does make me want to take advantage of the last few opportunities I have to cook stews, chili, and other wintery soups.

Coconut milk is the key ingredient in the Mixed Lentil & Coconut Stew recipe posted below. Added at the end, it makes the soup creamy and provides a slightly sweet flavor to balance the curry and other spices. I added a whole can because I couldn’t resist…although ½ a can would be plenty. The stew would be delicious over some brown rice or quinoa, or served with some crusty bread.

On a side note: My sister was over at my apartment yesterday and commented on how bare my fridge looked (as is usual around the end of a work week). Beverages, earth balance spread, almond butter, carrots, and a few random condiments made up the entire contents of my barren fridge. Despite the lack of fresh ingredients I had on hand, I had no trouble whipping up this wonderfully filling dinner. This is a great recipe to keep on hand for those days that you do not have time to go to the store since it is based almost entirely on pantry staples.  


Mixed Lentil and Coconut Stew
Ingredients:
 2 tablespoons safflower oil (Olive oil is fine)
1 medium Vidalia onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, chopped
2 carrots, chopped
1 tablespoon curry powder
1 teaspoon ginger powder (or fresh ginger, chopped, if you have any on hand)
1 teaspoon cinnamon
½ teaspoon cayenne
4.5 cups of water or low-sodium vegetable broth
1.5 cups mixed red and green lentils (I used half and half)
1 14.5 oz can of light coconut milk
1 14.5 oz can of diced tomatoes
Salt and pepper to taste
Scallions or Green Onions for garnish

Directions:
  • Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a Dutch oven or large soup pan.
  • Add onion, garlic, and carrots and sautĂ© until soft (around 5 minutes)
  • Add spices and fry for another minute or so.
  • Add lentils and water or broth and simmer for 20-30 minutes, or until water has been absorbed and lentils are soft and just starting to lose shape.
  • Add tomatoes and coconut milk and simmer for another 5 minutes, until heated through.
  • Salt & Pepper to taste. I left mine chunky as I prefer the texture, but you may also choose to puree with a hand blender until smooth.


No comments:

Post a Comment