Pages

Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Quinoa, Chickpea, and Roasted Vegetable Salad


My orzo pasta salad worked out so well for lunches last week that I decided to make another salad this week. I have made quinoa & chickpea salads in the past and this time I roasted some fresh vegetables I had on hand to add flavor. I had every intention of making a lemon vinaigrette dressing from scratch when I started the salad....but by the end I got lazy and used some store bought salad dressing I already had instead (I used Newman’s Light Italian Dressing). Add some pita bread and voila - an easy, healthy pack-and-go lunch!

Ingredients:
• 1 cup uncooked quinoa (rinsed)
• 1 green pepper, cut into 1 inch pieces
• 1 zucchini, cut into 1 inch pieces
• 1 medium eggplant, cut into 1 inch pieces
• 1 tablespoon olive oil
• 1 pint cherry tomatoes
• 1 15oz can of chickpeas


Directions:
Cook the quinoa according to package directions. Once cooked, allow to cool.

Preheat oven to 425. Toss vegetables with a generous pinch of salt and 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Roast for 30-45 minutes.

Rinse and drain the can of chickpeas. Transfer quinoa to large bowl and mix in chickpeas and roasted vegetables. Add about ¼ cup of dressing of your choice (as mentioned, I used Newman’s Own Lighten Up Italian). Chill before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment