Pages

Friday, February 3, 2012

Baked Tofu with Dipping Sauces

I'm up to five miles on my training runs now...which is great but also means that my nights are cut significantly shorter because I spend 1+ hours at the gym. My fridge also tends to be a bit bare by the end of the week. So last night I wanted a meal that was fast and easy, using what limited ingredients I had on hand.

I had a block of tofu (I seem to always have tofu)...and a stirfry was the first thing that came to mind as a quick and easy dish. However last night I really wasnt feeling it.

I decided instead to try cooking the tofu in a different way - baking it. I drained the block of tofu and then let it sit for 15 minutes between two plates and paper towels (to remove excess moisture).

I then cut the tofu into small, two/three inch pieces and let them sit in a soy sauce/olive oil marinade for another 15 minutes.

After that I baked the tofu bites on a baking sheet covered in tinfoil for 20 minutes at 400', turning once at the ten minute mark. 

They came out looking (and tasting) great. For fun I whipped up two "dips" for the tofu slices. The dips made the very healthy meal of tofu (and some green pepper slices) fun!  
I used the same base for the two dips (soy sauce, rice vinegar, water, garlic) and added peanut butter to one and some leftover harissa paste to the other. The peanut sauce was definetly the winner!

Peanut Sauce:
2 tbps peanut butter
2 tbps water
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 cloves garlic, minced and crushed
1 tbsp rice vinegar
1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes

Harissa Sauce:
1 tbps of harissa paste
2 tbps water
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 clove garlic, minced and crushed
1 tbps rice vinegar

Preparation:
For both dips, combine all ingredients in a saucepan over low heat until ingredients are combined and mixture is smooth.


No comments:

Post a Comment