Pages

Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Blue Print Cleanse - Day 3

Most reviews that I read from people on the BPC said that the first day was hard, the second was the hardest, but the third was a breeze. Definitely not what I am feeling. I have been hungry since I woke up this morning…and unlike the past two days my stomach has actually been growling. Audibly. The sound of my co-worker crunching away on pretzels in the cubicle next to me is driving me nuts. I am not feeling the “euphoric sense of enlightenment” that others report feeling by the third day of juicing. I do feel lighter (and, side note, weigh less, although this is of course all water weight) but I wouldn’t say I have increased energy right now.

On the bright side, all of the juices, including the green juices, are going down just fine. I am actually finding myself looking forward to the green juice – not because I enjoy the taste but in hopes of it filling me up more than the fruit based ones.

BluePrint claims the main point of this cleanse is to “rid your body of impurities, regain an alkaline balance and normalize digestion and metabolism.” I hope this is/has happened….but who knows? The easier measurement for success is to see if the cleanse motivates and helps me reset healthy eating habits. To that end, I am planning my approach to coming off the cleanse tomorrow. BPC recommends a raw vegan diet to help you ease your way back into solid food after a juice cleanse. This is the “sample menu” they provide:

Day 1 – A few pieces of fruit spread out through the day, or some fresh squeezed non-pasteurized juice (green/citrus/or fruit). If you wish to drink some freshly squeezed juice, be sure to dilute it with some water.
Day 2 - Raw or lightly steamed vegetables, e.g. spinach, broccoli; try and avoid the more starchy veggies like carrots, beets, squash etc. You may also have a raw green leafy salad with some vegetables.
Day 3 – Green salads should be your staple at this point. If you’re craving some more sustenance, you may choose plain brown rice (a small portion), or a yam or sweet potato.

http://blueprintcleanse.com/breaking-the-cleanse.html

Wait, what? Coming off of three days of juicing I think I want to treat myself to a little bit more to eat than just fruit tomorrow. Of course I do not want to undo all of the "progress" I have made but I can’t imagine fruit is going to satisfy me…nor does that sound all that healthy.

I am planning on enjoying fruit for breakfast, a salad for lunch, and a vegetable based soup + a salad for dinner. All healthy and vegan, of course, but nowhere near as drastic as BPC recommends.

To continue a healthier lifestyle moving forward, my goal is to continue eating vegan as much as possible. A few slip ups where cheese is concerned is inevitable, a fact I have come to accept. I am also going to try to replace at least one meal a day with a soup or salad. The hope is that this will help me continue a healthy diet while giving me energy to start on a running schedule.

No comments:

Post a Comment