Pages

Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Broccoli and Spinach Vegan Quiche

I have had this recipe from Lindsey Nixon's book "Everyday Happy Herbivore" on my "Try" list for some time. Working from home today gave me the ability to give it a shot for a quick lunch. Very easy and made from ingredients I usually have in my fridge every day. Lindsey mentions using any type of greens that you want - I used some broccoli and spinach. I also subbed out the garlic and onion powder (personal taste) and added in harissa powder in their place for some spice.  I will post my modified recipe below - Lindsey's recipe can be found here.

Ingredients

  • 1 pound extra-firm tofu
  • 1 tsp harissa powder
  • ½ tsp turmeric
  • ½ tsp salt 
  • ¼ cup nutritional yeast
  • ¼ cup cornstarch
  • 1½ tbsp Dijon mustard
  • 1 tbsp lemon juice
  • 2 cups fresh spinach chopped
  • 2 cups of broccoli florets, chopped very small. 
  • 1 tsp red pepper flakes                                      

Instructions

Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease a shallow 9" pie dish and set aside. Steam broccoli (I used my microwave) until bright green and slightly tender. Combine all ingredients, except spinach and broccoli, in a food processor or strong blender and whiz until smooth and creamy, stopping to break up chunks and scrape the sides as necessary. Mix in the vegetables in and transfer batter to pie dish. Using a spatula, spread the mixture around so it's even and tight. Bake 30-40 minutes, until golden and the center is not still mushy. Allow to cool at least 10 minutes before slicing.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment