Pages

Monday, May 14, 2012

Baked Vegan Doughnuts

When I found this recipe on  Angela Liddon's blog I knew I had to give it a go. Yesterday afternoon I had a some spare time and all the ingredients on hand. Angela is right in that the recipe is super easy to pull together. The only hard part is really the shaping of the doughnut, since if you are like me (and most normal people?!) you do not have a doughnut pan on hand. After scrolling through the comments on Angela's post I got the idea to pour the dough into a homemade pastry bag (ie ziplock bag with a corner cut out). Worked pretty well...the main issue was keeping the dough apart in the middle to form the holes. I used some shot glasses to help mold them....which was partially successful. Also, my doughnuts came out pretty thin, which I am sure would be solved by using a doughnut pan.

Dry Ingredients
1 Cup All Purpose Flour
1/2 Cup Sugar (I used raw cane sugar, but feel free to use white)
1 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
1/4 tsp Salt
1/4 tsp (scant) Nutmeg
1/4 tsp Cinnamon

Wet Ingredients
1/2 Cup Soymilk (I used vanilla almond milk, since that was what i had on hand)
1/2 tsp Apple Cider Vinegar
1/2 tsp Pure Vanilla Extract
Egg Replacer for 1 Egg
4 Tbs Earth Balance (regular margarine should work too)

Icing Glaze:
1/2 cup powdered icing
1 tbsp soy milk
sprinkles/nuts/other toppings

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350F. Take all the wet ingredients and put in a small pot on the stovetop on low. Whisk ingredients together to blend well. Do not let the mixture get too hot, it should just be warm to the touch. Mix the dry ingredients together in a large bowl. Add the wet to the dry and mix until just incorporated. Do not over mix.

Mold doughnuts on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. If you are not using a doughnut pan, get creative with what you have lying around to help you shape them! Wet your hands when touching the dough to prevent it from sticking.  

Bake for 12 minutes. You don’t want them brown, but they should slowly pop up when pressed with a finger. Cool on a wire rack and then decorate.

As you can see, I made 8 doughnuts from this batter...although two were super-sized as I was playing around with how to mold them.

No comments:

Post a Comment