Pages

Tuesday, December 28, 2010

We all start somewhere

I grew up on food. Yes, I know what you are thinking- we all did. Ahh, but the food I grew up on was different. After moving overseas to Italy at the tender age of 9, my parents used to make fun of me for asking them where all the "Italian food” was. However, it did not take me too long to stop missing the garlic bread and spaghetti and meatballs I had anticipated. Replacing those Americanized dishes were everything from squid ink "wild" rice to melon flavored gelato.  After 9 years in food heaven, I moved back to America. Adjusting first to living off southern comfort food in North Carolina and then experimenting with the many ethnic and outstanding cuisines in D.C, I recently was displaced again to Boston. Being someone who appreciates all good food, I am loathe to give up the plethora of new tastes available to me here (lobster anyone?). However I have recently decided (for a variety of reasons) to attempt a vegan lifestyle. Is it possible to still enjoy food as much as I do with the bacon, steak, or chorizo? Will a glass of wine taste the same without a good piece of cheese to accompany it? Can I still be a foodie without everything I used to (ok, lets be honest, still do) love? I am going to put my cooking skills to the test and let my next big food adventure begin!

No comments:

Post a Comment